It is important to note that ISO/IEC 20000 IT Service Management Foundation Certification is not a different version or flavor of the ITIL Foundation Certification.
How Does ISO/IEC 20000 Differ from ITIL?
The main focus of ISO/IEC 20000 is on the understanding and development of a service management system (SMS). The SMS is the unique feature that allows organizations to successfully adopt and adapt service management. It is also the feature that differentiates ISO/IEC 20000 from ITIL.
Does it Help to Know ITIL or be ITIL Certified?
Being ITIL Foundation Certified or knowledgeable provides a great background for individuals getting started in ISO/IEC 20000. However, In ISO/IEC 20000 you will learn how to manage your initiative. If you want to become ISO/IEC 20000 Certified, you will need to take this class or have equivalent knowledge and fully understand the standard in order to pass the exam. Being ITIL Foundation Certified will not prepare you to pass the ISO/IEC 20000 exam.
What Does this Course Cover?
This course identifies the essential components of IT Service Management that meet the ISO/IEC 20000 standard. It discusses defining and agreeing to service requirements, planning resources to meet business outcomes, supporting service delivery and providing value for the customer and the service provider so you can make the necessary changes in your organization to have a positive impact on the services you provide.
The Foundation course provides key information and concepts for IT Service Management based on ISO/IEC 20000 as well as its relationships with other areas of information management so you can connect the information to what you’ve previously learned about ITSM. It builds the fundamental skills and knowledge enabling one to participate in organizational teams working within Service Management so your team can work more effectively together and have a stronger impact. We place emphasis on the service management system (SMS) and service management processes, specifically the core concepts and basic terminology of IT service management based on ISO/IEC 20000 in order to properly prepare you for the Foundation exam.
Once you have completed ISO/IEC 20000: IT Service Management Foundation and successfully passed the exam, you will want to take the ISO/IEC 20000 : IT Service Management Associate course. This course builds on the foundation knowledge, taking the high-level information gained in the Foundation course and providing additional depth and practical context. The Associate has a much more ‘global’ view of the standard as well as the daily activities required to maintain or achieve ISO/IEC 20000 implementation.
The course teaches to the current standards: ISO/IEC 20000-1 and SO/IEC 20000-2:2012.
In This Course You Will Learn:
- Explain the core concepts of Service Management and quality frameworks
- Describe the Service Management System (SMS) and the value and application of the PDCA cycle
- Discuss high-level concepts around service design and transition
- Identify Objectives, activities and quality requirements of the service management process
Module 00: ISO/IEC 20000: IT Service Management Foundation-Course Introduction
Module 01: Managing the Service: Somebody Has to Do It
• What is quality and why it is important?
• What is an IT service?
• The factors Needed to Provide an IT service
• The Benefits and Characteristics of a Process-Based Approach
• The Concept of IT Service Management
• The Benefits and Risks of IT Service Management
• The Role of Tools Used Within IT Service Management
• The Principles of Continual Improvement and the Applications of the PDCA Cycle
• Exercise: ITSM and Failure
Module 02: Everything has to fit together in ITSM!
• The purpose and benefits of ISO/IEC 20000
• The Parts of 20000
• The Deming Cycle – PDCA
Module 03: Complimentary Frameworks Part 1
• CobiT 4.1
• CobiT 5
• Six Sigma
Module 04: Complimentary Frameworks Part 2
• ISO 90001
• ISO 27001
• ISO 38500
• The New Technologies
Module 05: Service Management as a Global System
• Critical Terms
• General Requirements
• Resource Management
Module 06: Plan, Do, Check, Act (PDCA)
• Deming applied to 20000
• Audits and Reviews
• The SMS Applied
Module 07: Service Design and Transition
• Planning the new or changed service
• Designing the new or changed service
• Transitioning the new or changed service
• Removing the obsolete service
• Exercise: Design a Sandwich Shop
Module 08: Service Delivery Processes Part 1
• Service Level Management
• Service Reporting
• Continuity and Availability
Module 09: Service Delivery Processes Part 2
• Budgeting and Accounting
• Information Security
• Exercise: Measuring Sandwiches
Module 10: Relationship, Relationship: One of the Secrets of Success!
• The Customer!
• The Supplier!
• Supply Chain Relationships
Module 11: Resolution Including Service Requests
• Service Request
• Problem Management
Module 12: Control, Vital but with Little Glamour
• It’s all about the parts
• It’s all about the control
• Putting them together
• Exercise: Adding a New Line of Business
Module 13: Deployment
• Release of the service
• Controlling the release
• Connecting to Parts and Control
Module 14: Exam Tips
ISO/IEC 20000: IT Service Management Foundation is Accredited by AXELOS and EXIN. As an Authorized Training Provider Accredited by AXELOS and EXIN, GogoTraining’s ISO/IEC 20000: IT Service Management Foundation course fully qualifies you to sit for the ISO/IEC 20000 examination given by EXIN.
Foundation is the entry level of the ISO/IEC 20000 certification program. This course prepares you for the exam IT Service Management Foundation based on ISO/IEC 20000, accredited by EXIN. Once you have completed the course you can either take the IT Service Management Foundation Certification under exam code ITSM20F or the IT Service Management Foundation Bridge under exam code, ITSM20FB, if you already hold an ITIL Foundation certificate (proof required).
Once you have completed your Foundation course and passed your certification exam, you are ready to begin the Associate program. This program requires you to complete the Associate course (IT Service Management Associate based on ISO/IEC 20000) and practical assessment program. The practical assessments are completed under the guidance of your instructor. Upon successful completion of your course and practical assessments, you will qualify to take EXIN Associate exam (ITSM20AS).
Successful completion of the IT Service Management Associate ISO/IEC 20000 course, practical assessments and exam qualifies you to embark on two additional paths of study:
- Consultant Manager - develop a greater depth of knowledge of the Standard and develop the necessary managerial skills to lead an organization’s ISO/IEC 20000 journey (either initial implementation or on-going maintenance)
- Auditor - build on the Associate knowledge and learn specific audit techniques, specifically how to find evidence of conformance, assess and review the evidence and prepare written audit reports
The latest version of ISO/IEC 20000-1 was released in mid-2011 and the educational schema was updated and re-released in 2012 to reflect all the improvements. Both ISO/IEC courses found on the GogoTraining site, Foundations and Associate, teach to this version of the standard.
EXIN offers all GogoTraining students a 10% discount on all online proctored exam for this course. You can register online, receive your 10% discount and take your exam any day or night that works for you. To purchase your exam, click here.
This course qualifies to provide you with continuing education credits in the PMI Schema. To record your PDU's follow these steps:
- Go to https://www.pmi.org/
- Log in using your registered user name
- Go to myPMI, then select Report PDUs on CCRS
- Select Course or Training category
- Fill in all required information