AXELOS decided to update ITIL. In so doing they changed the certification flow and the names of all the courses and the certifications which makes everything a bit confusing. In this blog we will do our very best to clarify what this all means and give you some things to think about. Know that we are offering a free ITIL V3/4 assessment to help students understand what this change means to them directly so feel free to Contact Us at any time.
- Number of courses:
- ITIL V3 offered 12 courses
- ITIL 4 offers 6
- ITIL Foundation
- ITIL Managing Professional – 4 courses
- ITIL Strategic Leader – 2 courses (1 overlaps the MP track)
- How does ITIL V3 map to ITIL 4?
- ITIL 4 is retaining many of the core elements of ITIL V3, however there are no direct like-for-like modules between the two certification schemes.
- ITIL V3 and ITIL 4 Key Dates
- ITIL V3 courses and certifications are available through June 2020.
- ITIL 4
- Foundation will be released Q1 2019
- ITIL 4 Managing Professional (MP) – 4 courses
- ITIL 4 Strategic Leader (SL) – 2 courses (1 overlaps the MP track)
- ITIL Master – no details available
- What do we know today?
- ITIL 4
- The ITIL 4 Foundation course will be available Q1 2019 and there is no bridge. This means that if you hold your ITIL V3 Foundation or you are new to ITIL you will need to pass the ITIL 4 Foundation Exam to be ITIL 4 Foundation Certified. You do not need to take an ITIL 4 course to sit for the ITIL 4 Foundation exam, however taking an accredited course is highly recommended.
- AXELOS recommends 12 hours of training time to prepare for the exam
- The ITIL 4 Foundation Publication will be released before Q1 2019.
- None of the advanced ITIL 4 courses will be released until the second half of 2019.
- Advanced publications will be released sometime between June and December 2019.
- There is no release date set for the ITIL Master designation at this point
- A transition module for individuals with 17 or more ITIL V3 credits will be released second half of 2019. This module will allow individuals with 17 or more ITIL credits to take 1 course and 1 exam to become an ITIL 4 Managing Professional (MP).
- ITIL 4
What do I do if I am new to ITIL?
- If you work for an organization that requires you to become ITIL Certified, ITIL V3 content is solid and will help you now and with ITIL 4 once it is available. Remember, ITIL V3 certification is active until June 2020 or for 20 more months. ITIL V3 is not going away.
- If you are new to ITIL and need to be trained now, take the ITIL V3 Foundation course and certification exam.
- If you are new to ITIL and want to become Foundation certified, but have no pressing need to do so right away, wait until Q1 of 2019 and get your ITIL 4 Foundation Certification.
What should I do if I have ITIL V3 Intermediate Credits, But am not at 17 Credits Yet?
- ITIL V3 Intermediate courses are full of good solid information. If you are working towards Expert go ahead and continue. With 17 or more ITIL V3 credits you only need to take the ITIL 4 Managing Professional Transition Module to become an ITIL 4 Managing Professional. That means you take 1 course and exam instead of 4 courses and exams – very good deal.
- So if you are on your way to getting ITIL V3 advanced certifications, feel comfortable continuing. Right now all we have is ITIL 4 Foundation being released Q1 and a promise of the remainder being released June 2019 to December 2019.